Tuesday, September 9, 2008

first day on the set

I had my first day on the set with Val Kilmer and Armand Assante last Friday and I shot my first scenes for 'Steam Experiment'.
Everything I had heard prior to Labor Day was that we would begin shooting the third week in September.
On Labor Day I got the word that I would have my first call on Friday.

Being that I'd thought I had a couple of weeks, I have to confess that I hadn't fully given myself over to line study....

Give me a break! I don't know how other people do it. I had read the script through a couple of times to get a feel for the characters and especially to gain a sense for how my character, Police Lt. Tanner Clark, related to them.
I received the new, revised script on Tuesday, and by Friday morning I hadn't quite committed all the lines to memory, so I have to admit I was a shade nervous getting to the set. How nervous?

Well, I used the time to make the 70 mile trip from home to location to call everyone I know who prays and ask them for a favor...

But my scenes required me to be pissed at Armand's character, (I like to call him Armand. He refers to me as 'Doug, my man'), so I was able to put that nervous energy to good use yelling at a movie star.

(One of my lines as his boss is, "Damn it Jack! The guy's a fruit loop! Get your ass over to Fletcher Street!" Niiice...). We filmed until 12:55 Saturday morning. I got home from Grand Rapids about 2:30. (Being that most of the cast and a good portion of the crew is from the west coast, they run on California time).

I got there at 1:20 Friday afternoon, got to wardrobe at 2:00 (they put me in a black Hugo Boss suit with a white shirt and red and blackspot design tie. Stylin' fine with a much thinner profile all in black).

Next came hair and make-up, where I got all prettyed -up and got my hair parted in police-Lt fashion.

Then it was sit around and sweat until 6::00 when they called lunch, (a gorgeous buffet with baked salmon in a dill and basil sauce, baked chicken wrapped in proscuito with capers and lemon sauce, stuffed grapeleaves Lebanese style, chilled crab and lobster and various fresh seasonal fruits and vegetables and an entire table dedicated to deserts of the mostly continental style.

(I went ahead and had a slice of the apple pie with a big-ass wedge of cheddar cheese in honor of the recentley concluded Democratic and Republican National Conventions.)

I shot my first scene at 8:00 (walk into interigation, give Val Kilmer a dirty look, turn to Armand and say, "Jack! Get out here. I need to talk to you!"). Then I sat around memorizing lines and getting pissed at Armand (because it was in the script) until my last scene at 12:35. Which, as it turned out, didn't get shot until the next day due to time issues.

My friend Bobby asked me how it felt to be hanging with movie stars. "Was it other-worldly?" Mmmm, no. Not really. The toughest part was the trip over. It was a lot like the first day at a new school.... Will the other kids like me? Am I dressed okay? Am I gonna fit in??

There's an old saying in sports, "Act like you been there before."
Hell man. I can act like that.

And it turned out I can.

I will say this in all humility, boys and girls: I felt like I belonged there. I'm not Tom Hanks, but I can hang with these guys. These things can just be a nice adventure, but they always have the potential to lead to more. That, now, is my hope. This is all I want to do and I believe now more than ever that it's possible. The director Phillipe Martinez congratulated me on a good job and I got pat on the back in passing from Val (I'm your Huckelberry) Kilmer.

Not bad for a guy with limited talents and a 38 inch waist...

And day two went even better. I'll get back to you on that.
***********************************************************************

....by the by, thanks to my friends who pray. That's the difference maker, right there...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so coool! I'm goin' to see the movie no matter what the critics say, just 'cause you're in it.
Greg

Anonymous said...

I bet working with Jim Morrison was awesome! Reading with Steve Buscemi is pretty saweet, he's one of my all time faves- but how do I wrap my ears around these car commercial voice overs? get into it

Character Man said...

Okay, it's official - I'm jealous :)

But congratulations, man! That's pretty cool stuff.

Anonymous said...

Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly. Langston Hughes

Dreams are illustrations... from the book your soul is writing about you. Marsha Norman

So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable. Christopher Reeve

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.
Thomas E. Lawrence

Keep on dreaming dude!

Jay

Character Man said...

Hi Doug...was just checking to see if you had a new entry, and noticed - You're using the wrong "Principle" on your resume; it should be "Principal" :)

Anonymous said...

as always you continue to amaze me. congrats dude, and keep it up