Thursday, September 25, 2008

Meanwhile, back on the set with Armand and Val...

Back to the subject of my time on the set of "Steam Experiment" with Val Kilmer and Armand Assante...

Honestly, it couldn't have gone better. On the second day of filming, towards the end of our last scene together, Armand came up to me and said, "Doug, I'm embarrassed to say this. I know I've seen you in a hundred films, but for the life of me, I just can't remember which ones."

I laughed and said, "Armand, I've been acting professionally for two and a half years. This is just my fourth movie and by far my biggest role. Last week I returned empty pop bottles so I could get gas money to get to a commercial audition in Detroit. This week, I'm here with you."

He was unbelievably kind and a real professional to work with. He told me he would look forward to working with me again any time. He pronounced me "an excellent actor" and he assured me that I had more movies in my future. I can't begin to tell you what a boon to my confidence he was. He was beyond generous in his encouragement and I will always be thankful that he took the time to make me feel accepted as peer.

Phillipe Martinez, the director of the film was also incredibly cool. He is French, and he's a big guy. He tooled around the set on an electric cart, wearing a big fedora, ("my inspiration"), with the brim turned up in front, all continental and very hip. He would drive by me on his cart and I would say, "Looking good, Phillipe!" And he would say, in his French accent, "Yes. I know.", and give me a wink.

I had an idea about how my character would relate to Armand's character. I knew I didn't like him, but I thought I should "look for the love" in our dialogue. Philippe took me aside and said, "Doug, you and I are bohemian actors. I know you look for the love. But this guy, this Lt. Tanner, he is a boss. He is corporate. He doesn't like this guy and he doesn't have time to smile. You don't like him and that is how you treat him."

It was absolutely the right advice. I had to get in Armands face a couple of times, and I couldn't have pulled it off going my way. "You been played, Jack." just doesn't work when you're smiling.

As it worked out there were some technical difficulties during the filming and we had to re-shoot several scenes. Twice Phillipe came up to me and said, "Is not you, Doug. Is the fucking camera. You are great. Do it again now. Just the same".

All my scenes were filmed on the second floor of the Amway Grand Hotel in Grand Rapids where they had taken over the ballroom and created sets for the interrogation room, the jail cell and the observation room. There were probably 50 people on the set at any given time: gaffers and grips and carpenters, make-up and hair, assistant directors, videographers and still-photographers and sound techs, electricians and actors and extras and stand-ins. Lot's of people to pay. Lot's of work for Michigan workers and lot's of money spent in G.R.
Good for Michigan and thank you Madam Governor.

I was high as a kite for a week afterwards.
I want to do this every day.
All day every day.

And, believe me, it's scary to say it out loud. You sure as hell don't want to jinx yourself, so I'll just whisper it here....
I can hang with these guys.
I can do this.
And I thank god and all creation that I've had the opportunity

And you know what?
Better days ahead....
Oh yeah.

Right God?

...hellooo?

All I know is, I may be unemployed today, but I'm still the happiest man in America!

dA

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hell, yah, you can hang with them.

Man, you've always been talented. It just takes a while for folks to notice and catch on.

Now we just need to find a way to get you back on stage.
jeff

Anonymous said...

Doug,
You've always been awesome, charming and handsome, you could hang with anyone and they would love you. Never stop doing what you love, life is too short.

Kelli

Anonymous said...

kudos on this one, big guy

Anonymous said...

We all know you are awesome. They'll catch on.
If not, you should be a writer. You have a true gift either way.
Denise (the better sister :))