Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Anything is possible if you don't know what you're talking about.

The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

Yeah. I'm a huge believer in that. A practioner, even.

So I'm thinking I will make a couple of commitments to this page. For instance, did you notice you can buy songs, albums and books without even leaving this website?

Well you can. That's the point of the little slide show of books at the bottom of the page and the album slide show and MP3 deals on the side bars.

("Convenience promotes use", as Bruce Simon taught me many years ago. It's the basic principle of 7/11's and Starvin' Marvins! That's why, if you live in Michigan for instance, when your significant-other calls at the end of a freezing winter day and says something like, "Hey! Stop and get some milk on the way home!", you pull up to the QD, leave the motor running, trot inside and spend $3.50 for a gallon of milk instead of going to Krogers, slogging through the drifts and cold, hiking back to the dairy section and scoring that milk for only $2.99!)

So, in a small way, those little deals on this site are like 7/11 for your eyes and ears! Only without the price hike! Plus, you can score books you maybe don't know about (but which have the Doug Alchin seal of approval!!), or music you haven't thought about in years or maybe haven't even heard at all!! (Have you heard Taj Mahall's version of "Honky Tonk Women", or Mavis Staples doing "Gotta Serve Somebody"? When was the last time you even
thought about listening to John Mayall's "The Turning Point" album or JethroTull's "This Was"? Well, you can sample them in these little boxes and if you like 'em and want to own 'em you can buy them right here!!! AND (here's the cool part) if eight or nine hundred people buy stuff from this site, I can make, like, I don't know....$12 or $16 or something. (Look, I'm not good with details. That's where the devil dwells, and I don't want nothin' to do with that son-of a bitch!)
SO! For you: convient, tested and Doug Alchin approved products at no extra charge!! For me: like a quarter tank of gas or so sometime in November!

You like? Of course you like!!

So. I'm thinking: lists! Different ones each week, maybe:

Kahula's koolest beach songs!
10 great cover songs!
If you like Carl Hiaasen, try Tim Dorsey!!
One Hit Wonders!!
Zappa Song's that should have made it to Radio!
Blues that make me happy!!!
My Favorite ELMORE LEONARD Books that take place in Detroit! (Or Florida!)
BETTER movie or BETTER book books

(OK, "Strip Tease" by Carl Hiaasen off the top of my head.... I'm not making any judgements, you decide and report back here!! That's right! Interactive!!!)

So. We're gonna need list suggestions. Feel free to add your thoughts. We'll figure it out as we go along!


I'll come up with my first list by this weekend. In the meantime take a look at what's there now and see what you think!

888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

I have a commercial audition in Grand Rapids on Thursday for Hurley Hospital. Keep a good thought...




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hurley Hospital, are you going to give or get prostrate exams in the commercial? You owe me a lunch buddy! Mike